Reading Made Easy with Blend Phonics
Nationwide Educational Reform Campaign
Sponsored by Donald L. Potter
The purpose of this website is to promote Hazel Logan Loring’s 1980 Reading Made Easy with Blend Phonics for First Grade: Plus Blend Phonics Fluency Drills, as the definitive solution to the problem of illiteracy in The United States and other English speaking countries.
The program features a highly effective, easy-to-teach, single-letter phonics technique for teaching reading with directional guidance to students of any age. It will prevent the development of reading problems in beginning students and remediate its presence in older students.
Several factors lead me to believe that the goal of making Blend Phonics available to every reading teacher in America is now feasible.
- The program is totally free. When first published, 5000 copies were printed and mailed to first grade teachers in Michigan. The response from teachers, as published in the Detroit Free Press, was overwhelmingly positive. Here is my FREE PDF of the program: Reading Made Easy with Blend Phonics for First Grade.
- Numerous supplements and training materials (written, audio, and video) are available for free on the other pages of the website. These supplements will be of great aid to teachers in implementing the program successfully.
- The implementation of the program does not require any changes in curriculum currently used. Its capable of being used as a stand-alone or supplement.
- I believe it is completely aligned with contemporary scientific researching reading acquisition.
- Properly implemented, it covers handwriting, phonics, reading, spelling, and vocabulary development in one easy-to-teach program.
- The power of the Internet and social networking means that we are able to advertise and distribute the program in an effective manner without a large outlay of funds.
- A very inexpensive 6 x 9 paperback book containing all of Mrs. Loring’s lessons and 62 decodable text with comprehension questions and spelling words is available: Blend Phonics Lessons and Stories.
Participation is entirely voluntary. Everyone is welcome to download Loring’s Blend Phonics Pamphlet or purchase my expanded Blend Phonics with Fluency Drills. Feel free to share it with fellow teachers, tutors, parents, professors, researches, tutors, and administrators. Perhaps concerned business men will want to make copies to give to teachers, schools, and entire school districts.
I am not in favor of requiring teachers to teach Blend Phonics, but I am 100% in favor of allowing ALL teacher to use Blend Phonics, simply because it will assure success with all their students. Motivation to use a superior phonics program, not coercion to follow a district mandate, is what is going to make Blend Phonics to a nationwide level.
Homeschool parents will find it an inexpensive alternative or useful adjunct to commercially available phonics programs.